Mother Road Brewing Company is Arizona’s third-largest independent craft brewer. Founded in 2011 in Flagstaff, Arizona, our mission is to brew distinguished beers and build community, one pint at a time.
We support local Arizona charities and conserve and protect our state’s 800 unique species of wildlife. When you’re not at home or work, Mother Road Brewing Company is your “third space” – a place where everyone is welcome, where we connect and build relationships over our incredible craft beers.
Route 66 is a highway steeped in history, culture, and the endless possibilities of the open road. When it was completed, it gave motorists unparalleled freedom to roam and connected small towns and big cities in never-before-seen ways. Author John Steinbeck gave Route 66 the moniker “the mother road” in his classic novel The Grapes of Wrath. The highway was a road to opportunity for people seeking a better life. Running through our hometown of Flagstaff, Arizona, Route 66 still holds a powerful place in our culture, and we’ve imbued its adventurousness and innovative spirit into the foundations of everything we build, do, and brew.
- Nov. 17, 2011 – Mother Road Brewing Company opens to the public with one beer on tap and three employees
- Nov. 2012 – Mother Road signs with Hensley Beverage Company to widen its distribution in Arizona
- Oct. 2015 – Tower Station IPA released
- 2017 – The team brews over 4,400 barrels at the original Downtown brewery
- Feb. 2, 2018 – The Butler brewery opens with capacity for 15,000 barrels per year
- 2020 – Tower Station IPA is Nielsen’s best-selling independent craft beer in Arizona
At Mother Road, our values are more than just words: They represent who we are at our core, our unique history, and the contributions of our talented brewers and hosts. They are a compass for everything we do, including how we interact with our employees, community, guests, and business partners. As Mother Road Brewing Company adapts over time, our values will remain the same.
- Radical Hospitality: We create community through shared experiences and memories. We treat ourselves and others with respect. We welcome our guests, distributors, and partners and invite them to be a part of the Mother Road story.
- Resourceful: We make intentional decisions that respect our time, materials, and financial health by doing more with less.
- Dauntless: We are resolute in facing challenges with positivity and the courage to try new things.
- Curiosity: We ask questions, pursuing ideas, both big and small, to improve our beers and hospitality. We seek ongoing improvement.
- Puckish: We work hard – but don’t forget to laugh and play.
In the early 2000s, our Co-Founder, Michael Marquess, sought ways to combine his passions of hospitality, craft beer, motoring, Arizona, and Route 66. One day, the Marquess family set off on a road trip in their 1982 VW Westy to answer the question that would define their next decade: “Should we start a brewery?” As they returned from their road trip, the answer was a resounding “yes.” They wanted their work lives to align with their family creed of “finding joy in the adventure.” Thus began the story of Mother Road Brewing Co.
Opening a brewery was a natural fit. An entrepreneur at heart, Michael is also a graduate of Northern Arizona University’s Hotel and Restaurant Management program, spending years working in hospitality jobs and home-brewing. His love for history, automobiles, and motoring comes from his grandparents. His grandfather restored classic autos and his grandmother made sure car club trips were perfect with food, beverage, and hospitality. Today, Michael spends his time as CEO of Mother Road Brewing Co., raising his family, wrenching on old Fords, and still finding joy in the adventure.
“There’s magic in taking four, simple ingredients, and in two weeks, having something amazing that can be shared with anyone.”
For more information on Mother Road Brewing Company, click here.